Buitrago and its castle
It is located at one end of the walled enclosure. It was built between the fourteenth and ﬁfteenth centuries. It belongs to the Moorish style, made of brick and masonry. It is almost square and fortiﬁed by seven towers, one of which is pentagonal and the rest with different plants. The towers have openings topped by arches, made by rows, and horseshoe. It was the residence of the Marquis de Santillana and their descendants.
The city walls and fortress were declared National Monuments in 1931. In 1993, Buitrago is declared of Cultural Interest, in the category of Historical-Artistic. The ownership of the castle passed to the municipality of Buitrago in 2000.